St. Charles Catholic School began as St. Charles Academy in 1919 in the Slaght family home that stood on the site of the school’s current playground. However, in 1927, the school closed due to lack of enrollment. In 1946, the Rev. Anthony Bourdow reopened the parish school. Classes were held on the first floor of the convent, which was located on the corner of Benton and Franklin streets. In 1956, a modern, five-classroom school opened on Franklin Street. In 1963, two more classrooms and a gymnasium were added. In 1997-1998, the lower level of the new church added two additional classrooms, a music room, and additional space for school and parish use. We are blessed to have St. Charles School in our Greenville community.